Here Goes Nothing!

Why, hello there!

I’m gonna stop you right here and warn you that this whole blogging thing is somewhat alien to me.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love writing.  I’m an English teacher, after all.  And a Spanish teacher.  And before that, I studied computer science and software development for a while.  So I’ve basically spent my entire educational career learning about languages and how to use them.

Some of you might be wondering what computer science is doing, just sitting there in the middle of a paragraph about languages, amidst all that social science mumbo-jumbo.  I’ll tell you.  While studying software I learned four distinct programming languages.  On a basic level, these languages are a lot like any other language; the goal of learning the language is to be able to communicate meaning in a way the person on the other end can understand (only, in this case, the “person” was a machine, of course).  A software designer or programmer works within the rules and limits of the language to tell the machine which functions to perform.  However, software compilers are the ultimate grammar nazis.  One little mistake and the whole masterpiece of complicated language falls apart or gets stuck in an infinite loop.  A machine cannot infer your meaning, despite minor errors, or interpret meaning based on tone.  There is no sarcasm, no metaphor in software code.

Feeling a deep void left by the lack of sarcasm in my life, I veered back to my original love: human languages, and became a language teacher.  I studied all sorts of writing — poetry, short fiction, creative non-fiction, literary analysis — but I’ve always stopped short of truly sharing my writing with others.  So this whole blogging thing is rather alien to me, as I said.  Oh, what?  You forgot that’s where this ramble-fest started?  Well, scroll up a bit to remind yourself.  I’ll wait.

(GIPHY)

You good?  Great.  Moving on.

So, yeah.  Point is, I’m a bit nervous for this blogging experience, but at least I get to talk about things that I really care about.  You see, I recently landed a gig working for an amazing company called Michigan Virtual.  As a non-profit educational service provider, Michigan Virtual contracts with schools, districts, and parents to provide a quality online learning experience to students around the state in a hue variety of subjects.  Each online class is led by a highly-qualified and certified teacher, who spends his/her time coaching students and helping them to build knowledge and develop skills.  And I get to be part of that!

My job is somewhat different, as I have been hired on as an iEducator, part of a 21st century digital learning corp.  Basically, the idea is to take newbie teachers like me and give them immersive experiences in online and technology-aided teaching (skills that are becoming fundamental to a rapidly changing educational landscape) and then unleash us upon the world!  Muahahahahahaha!

(GIPHY)

Well, maybe with somewhat less evil laughing.

It’s an amazing opportunity to learn vital skills and see great work first-hand before venturing out into the void.  I’ve been teaching classes for Michigan Virtual for a few months now.  I taught a couple Spanish classes over the summer, and we’ve recently begun the fall semester.  I’m mostly teaching Spanish classes again, but I get to teach one section of a sophomore English class, which is very exciting.

This blog will, hopefully, become a place where I can share what I’m learning with a wider audience.  I hope to be able to both help other educators and learn from them as I continue my adventure in online learning.

Want to join me?

5 thoughts on “Here Goes Nothing!”

1. Yes, I want to join you! 🙂

I loved reading what you wrote, Kameron. The humor made me laugh out loud more than once, and it also got me thinking about the nature of language a bit, too. I didn’t realize the part of your past that contained computer programming, and I think this chapter in your life provides an interesting lens through which to view both English language use as well as other languages/world languages.

I appreciate how you use your strength in languages to communicate helpful, encouraging messages to students and staff alike. I have been inspired by your example. I would also love to compare notes regarding StrengthsFinder results if you ever happen to study this material… we may have some similarities specifically regarding the role of language (and I’m sure some differences) that would make for an interesting working combination sometime.

Keep writing!

2. It’s definitely an adventure, Kameron. As someone who speaks little Spanish and zero software, I can see the connection — they are both foreign languages to me! Good to see you embracing the learning of new skills. I’m looking forward to joining in on your growth!

3. This made my day! Thank you for the fun read! I don’t think that you need to be nervous about blogging….you are off to a great start!

4. I loved reading your post Kameron. Above and beyond the entertainment value and the bit of insight I gained into you, I realized our situations are flipped in some ways. I have a deep love of reading and writing and when I went back to school for my teaching degree I seriously considered English. As I was coming off a long and rewarding career in software development you can see how our choices are sort of mirrored. You may also have put your finger on why so many coders love sarcasm…

5. This was so fun to read, Kameron! I was just thinking about how awesome your feedback to your students must be to read. They are going to love it! I don’t think you need to be nervous about blogging–your writing style is engaging and I can’t wait to see all the followers you’ll have soon!